You can download a shortened version of my CV here.
This page is organised as follow (click on the link to move there directly):
- Current positions;
- Previous positions;
- Funded research grants (see also the Research tab);
- Fieldwork experience;
- Other (PhD thesis examination, reviewer work, conference organising, awards).
My Publications (incl. Media and Outreach), Presentations, and Supervision/Teaching activities are detailed on separate pages.
In short, I investigate global deep waters, from the variability of their formation at high latitudes to their interaction with sea ice and floating glaciers. To do so, I combine global climate model output, remote sensing data, and in-situ measurements, including some that I or my group members collect at sea. I am currently the main supervisor of two PhD students, and host of two postdocs who each supervise one Master’s student.
Current position and responsibilities
- Senior Lecturer (universitetslektor), based at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Gothenburg (Sweden). Also Docent in climatology.
- Co-lead of team OCEAN (50+ members) for the international MOSAiC expedition
- Guest editor, Elementa Science of the Anthropocene, MOSAiC special issue
- Member of the international CLIVAR/CliC Northern Ocean Regional Panel
Education and Qualifications
- 2020 – Habilitation / Docentur in Climatology, University of Gothenburg (Sweden)
- 2017 to 2020 – Pedagogic education at the University of Gothenburg (more information on request)
- 2011 to 2015 – PhD student at the University of East Anglia, Norwich (UK), and UK Met Office, Exeter (UK)
Thesis: Antarctic Bottom Water in CMIP5 models: characteristics, formation, evolution
Supervisors: Prof. K. J. Heywood (UEA), Prof. D.P. Stevens (UEA), and J.K Ridley (UK MetOffice), PhD. See publications ,,, and my PhD thesis.
- September 2013 – NCAS Climate Modelling Summer School, University of Oxford (UK)
- August 2011 – Physics of the Climate System, Summer School, University of Utrecht (Netherlands)
- 2008 to 2011 – Engineering Degree and Master’s Degree in Hydrodynamics, Ecole Centrale de Nantes (France) and LOCEAN-IPSL, Paris (France).
Thesis (in French): Interannual variability of the mixed layer depth in the Southern Ocean. See also publication .
Supervisor: Dr. F. Vivier (LOCEAN-IPSL).
Previous positions and responsibilities
- 2018 to 2022 – Associate Senior Lecturer, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2017 to 2021 – Physical Oceanography PI for the Swedish contribution to the international Synoptic Arctic Survey field expedition
- 2018 to 2020 – Associate Editor, Journal of Physical Oceanography.
- 2015 to 2018 – VINNOVA Marie Curie Incoming research fellow between the University of Gothenburg (Sweden) and the University of Oxford (UK).
- 2017 – Executive Secretary of APECS (Association of Polar Early Career Scientists) Sweden.
2018 – National committee representative of APECS Sweden within APECS international.
- 2015 to 2017 – Consultant for the Radar Remote Sensing group of Chalmers Technical University, Gothenburg (Sweden).
- 2015 – Postdoctoral researcher at LOCEAN, Paris (France)
- 2011 – Research intern at LOCEAN-IPSL, Paris (France) – see Master’s degree above.
- 2010 – Research intern at the INRS-ETE, Québec (Canada)
Statistical hydrology of North Canada
Supervisor: Dr. T. B.M.J Ouarda
Analysed the influence of Spring flood events on Autumn flood events in Québec. Developed a new statistical method for the detection of outliers (drought events)
Funded research grants
|2021-2024||FORMAS||Would the Northern European Enclosure Dam really protect Sweden from sea level rise? (NEEDS)||PI, 4 MSEK|
|2019-2023||Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet)||Why is the deep Arctic Ocean Warming? (WAOW)||PI, 3.6 MSEK|
|2019-2022||Swedish National Space Agency (Rymdstyrelsen)||Warm Inflows for Near-real time Detection Of Weddell polynya from Space (WINDOWS)||PI, 4.5 MSEK|
|2015-2018||VINNOVA, VINNMER Marie Curie Cofund Incoming research fellowship||Is Greenland meltwater going to stop the Atlantic overturning circulation?||PI, 2.3 MSEK|
|2018||UGOT climate fund||Sensor development||CI, 0.6 MSEK|
|2017||UGOT climate fund||Sensor development||CI, 0.8 MSEK|
|2016-2017||Stiftelse Olle Engkvist Byggmästare||Initiating PANDORAS: the Pan-Arctic Network of Deep Ocean Remote and Autonomous Sensors||PI, 0.3 MSEK|
Work Experience: at sea and in the lab
- October 2017 – Coriolis rotating platform (LEGI, France)
Geophysical fluid dynamics lab experiment in a 13 m-diameter rotating tank to simulate the topographic controls of ocean circulation in glacial fjords. See publication .
- June to July 2017 – R/V Polarstern (Alfred Wegener Institute)
SiPCA expedition (Survival of the Polar Cod in a changing Arctic) PS106, north of Svalbard. C. Heuzé’s equipment was purchased with a grant awarded to C. Heuzé by the Olle Engkvist Stiftelse. Group leader (PI) for the physical oceanography.
- August 2015 – I/B Oden (Swedish Polar Secretariat)
Paleoceanography expedition to Petermann Fjord, northwest Greenland. See publication .
- August 2013 – R/V Lance (Norwegian Polar Institute)
Oceanography and sea ice research cruise in Fram Strait
- January to March 2012 – RRS James Clark Ross (British Antarctic Survey)
Oceanography and biology research cruise in the Southern Weddell Sea. Group leader (PI) for the physical oceanography.
- May 2011 – Thétys II (CNRS)
Oceanography and biology research cruise to the Mediterranean Sea
Other: PhD examination, Reviewing, Conference organisation, Awards
I have been an opponent for the PhD defense of
- Dr Nora Loose, University of Bergen, 30 August 2019
- Dr Lucie Vignes, LOCEAN-IPSL, 29 June 2021
- Dr Morven Muilwijk, University of Bergen, 19 August 2021
I am a reviewer for the funding agencies ANR (France), NERC (UK) and NSERC (Canada), and for many journals: Annals of Glaciology, Journal of Climate, Journal of Geophysical Research, Journal of Physical Oceanography, Nature, Ocean Science, The Cryosphere, etc
I am also fairly good at organising things:
- 2022- Main organiser of the NORP “Arctic Processes in CMIP6 bootcamp“, Søminestation, Denmark;
- 2022- Co-convenor of session OS1.6 “Changes in the Arctic Ocean, sea ice and subarctic seas systems: Observations, Models and Perspectives“, EGU22;
- 2021- Co-convenor of session OS1.3 “Changes in the Arctic Ocean, sea ice and subarctic seas systems: Observations, Models and Perspectives“, vEGU21 (online because of covid19);
- 2021 (till 2024)- Representative of my department in the ‘beredningsgrupp’ of the Faculty Board, group that prepares the elections to the Faculty Board by selecting candidates in each institution, interviewing them, and selecting the one most suitable candidate in order to create a functioning and balanced Board;
- 2020- Co-convenor of session OS1.11 “Changes in the Arctic Ocean, sea ice and subarctic seas systems: Observations, Models and Perspectives“, EGU2020 (online because of covid19);
- 2018- Co-convenor of session HE008 “North Atlantic – Nordic seas – Arctic Ocean heat exchanges: Processes and Impacts”, 2018 Ocean Sciences Meeting;
- 2017- Organiser of two short courses: “Communicating Climate Change” and “Successful strategies to design, develop and write a research paper”, EGU2017;
- 2016- Organiser of the international FRISP meeting at Kristineberg, Sweden;
- 2016 to 2018, as part of APECS- Organiser of career-development sessions for young researchers in Sweden, during FRISP 2016 and the PolarForum. Also organiser of the “Polar Pub”, seminar series and networking event for polar early career researchers in Gothenburg.
- 2015 to 2017- Organiser of the Marine lunches, monthly networking events to strengthen collaborations between the University of Gothenburg and Chalmers.
Awards and prizes
- 2022 Ocean Science Division Outstanding Early Career Scientist award, European Geosciences Union
- 2017 European Geophysical Union best blog award
- 2016 Wallenberg foundation travel award for young researchers
- 2015 Forum for Arctic Modelling and Observation Systems travel award
- 2013 & 2015 Gordon Research Conference student travel award
- 2014 Challenger Society student travel award
- 2014 Graduate Climate Conference student travel award
- 2014 American Geophysical Union student travel award